Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Paying Gig? Yeah, Right...

I swear, man... Just when I think I'm right where I'm supposed to be, I go and see a live show, and it completely throws my world into a tailspin...

The wife is in Las Vegas this weekend, so I'm a "bachelor" for a few days, right? An acquaintance of mine had a CD release party tonight at a local club and I thought, for a change, I'd actually go and check it out. I wanted to support her show, you know?

So, I showed up early, hoping some of the friends I invited might show up, too. They didn't.

There I am, the old guy all by himself at the bar. Waiting. Waiting for the show to start, with no one to talk to. Drinking Heineken. All alone. One Heine after another. I began to think about how this acquaintance actually asked me to be her drummer at one point.

Of course, since I'm a complete dumb-ass, I turned her down. Now, sitting on a barstool watching her and her band perform, I realize that I missed out on a great opportunity. She's playing precisely the style of music I'd love to be playing right now.

Then another realization hit me: I have no confidence in my abilities as a drummer. She probably would have replaced me by now, anyway, and I'd still be right here, right now, whining about this situation.

So........I need to drink some water, put a little food into my stomach, go to bed, and forget about ever playing drums anywhere other than at church on Sundays...

2 comments:

Scoots said...

how depressing.

Anonymous said...

Dude we need a guys night. And I'm bringing you to camp with me next time. Looks like a kick ass paying gig will do you some good :)