Friday, June 20, 2008

Sheeba-Shabba-Shooba-Shabba

So, my boss (a retired backwoods police officer we lovingly refer to as Mumbles )and I are working on a case involving a couple of different violations. One of the people we're looking for is a woman who drew up some plans for a church. The woman isn't a licensed engineer, so what she did is illegal…

Anyway, we've been digging around, trying to find a valid phone number or address or something so we can serve the "official papers". Mumbles found a couple of numbers, one at the church she drew the plans for, the other being what he assumed was her cell phone.

So Mumbles calls both numbers and comes running into my office waving his arms to tell me, "the voice on both answering machines sounds like the same cotton pickin' woman!!" *GASP* So, we thought we'd go over to the church, which is several miles from the middle of nowhere, and see if she might be there. We take the 2-hour drive out to the church...and find it abandoned. Then Mumbles decides it will be a great idea to drive up and down every road we can find looking at names on mailboxes. After what seems like an eternity of listening to Mumbles read every single name on every single mailbox we pass, we call it quits and go back to Baton Rouge.

The next day, we're back at the office talking about the phone numbers, the addresses, and all of that, and Mumbles reminds me of his "discovery" of the same voice on the two different answering machines. So, I arbitrarily call one of the numbers with my speaker on so we can both hear.

The answering machine picks up, and, to my horror, it's the default automatic female-sounding message! And as I was sitting there trying not to laugh, Mumbles blurted out, "See, that's the same dang ol' voice as the one on the other dang ol' machine!"

So, I spun my chair around, folded my arms, and explained to him that the voice he heard was, in reality, not that of a real person.

You should have seen his face; it was as if I were speaking Cantonese to him or something. He just sat there staring at me, and I knew that the realization was dawning on him slowly.

I wanted so bad to say, "Great sleuthing there, Sherlock!" But, out of sheer respect for Mumbles' age, I didn't…

No comments: